When I moved to Santa Monica I decided to grow my own lemon tree, so I searched for the kind I would like most. It was not difficult for me to fall in love with the Meyer lemon, which is light and refreshing, sweet, and soft-skinned. I asked Eric to make a lemon pie as soon as my tree produced lemons. It was so delicious, and we could not keep it a secret, so Eric put the recipe in his first cookbook, “Love, Eric“, delicious vegan macrobiotic desserts. Each spring when my Meyer lemon tree produces fruit we make this pie, so I want to share the recipe with you so you can enjoy it like we do.
MAKES 1 PIE (9 inch pan)
For the pie crust:
1 cup spelt flour
3⁄4 cup unbleached flour
1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
1⁄3 cup maple sugar
1⁄3 cup safflower oil
1⁄4 cup water
For the lemon filling:
1 cup plain amazake
1 1⁄2 cups lemon juice
1⁄4 cup rice syrup
1⁄4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract zest of
2 1⁄2 tablespoons agar flakes
4 tablespoons arrowroot
1⁄4 cup apple juice extra lemon zest for garnish
To make the pie crust:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Add the oil and water, and knead quickly to form a dough. Allow dough to sit for 15 minutes.
4. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough in to a circle to fit a 9-inch pie pan. (Dough thickness should not exceed 1⁄4-inch).
5. Gently line the pie pan with the dough and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
To make the lemon filling:
1. Combine all the ingredients, except for the arrowroot and apple juice, in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes, whisking constantly.
2. In a small bowl,combine the arrowroot and the apple juice, then whisk into the lemon filling.
3. Continue cooking and whisking a few more minutes. Remove from flame and allow to cool slightly.
4. Pour the filling into the baked pie shell. Garnish with lemon zest around the edges and refrigerate until firm.
from “Love, Eric “Delicious Vegan Macrobiotic Desserts Cookbook
Leave a reply →
This website promises to be full of so many beautiful things! Congratulations! I look forward to every post!
Thank you so much for your comment. I am taking time to posting, but I am enjoying myself to creating this website. If you have any question, please let me know. Love, Sanae